Tag: 419论坛

  • 6 days agoChelsea boss Lampard: What I love about Barkley

    first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea boss Lampard: What I love about Barkleyby Paul Vegas6 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea boss Frank Lampard is delighted with the form of Ross Barkley.Barkley was a late substitute in England’s defeat in the Czech Republic but he returned to the starting 11 in style in Bulgaria when he scored two goals having set up the opener.”Ross played well,” praises Lampard. “I am loving his arrival into the box, that is what you always want when you are playing with midfielders with attacking qualities, for them to be in the six-yard box, not just to be in and around the area, and it is good for his confidence.”He knows that it is competitive here for a place in midfield. I am delighted to see players going away internationally and doing well, particularly if they have not been playing as much as they would like to here. It gives me a good problem and I am pleased for him.” last_img read more

  • Stars Support St Jude Childrens Research Hospital At LA Art Show

    The 20th Anniversary of the LA Art Show kicked off with a star-studded benefit for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital last week.Jesse Tyler Ferguson at LA Art ShowThe opening night premiere party, which welcomed more than 7,000 celebrities, philanthropists, collectors, and art patrons was hosted by Amy Adams and Darren Le Gallo.Amy Adams and Darren Le GalloThe evening hosted numerous high-profile celebrities and political officials including James Franco, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Melanie Griffith, Nikki Sixx, Seth Green, Olivia Holt, Yara Shahidi, Dania Ramirez, Josh Bowman, Joanna Cassidy, AFI’s Davey Havok, U.A.E. Consul General Alsabusi among others.Olivia Holt at LA Art ShowSt. Jude is leading the way the world understands, treats and defeats childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Thanks to support from events like this one, families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food, because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.“We are excited to partner with St. Jude at the 20th Anniversary LA Art Show,” said Kim Martindale, general manager and producer of the LA Art Show. “By sharing their knowledge freely and exchanging ideas openly, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital inspires more collaboration between doctors and researchers worldwide, and as a result, more lifesaving treatments for children everywhere.” read more

  • Manitoba appoints new hydro board after mass resignation at Crown corporation

    first_imgWINNIPEG – Manitoba has appointed five new people to the Manitoba Hydro board after all but one member quit en masse earlier this week.Crown Services Minister Cliff Cullen says three women and two men will join backbencher Cliff Graydon on the Crown corporation’s board.He says Marina James, chief executive officer of a Winnipeg real-estate association, will be the chair. Michael Moore, who was recently head of the province’s home builders association, has been appointed vice-chair.The other board members are Indigenous filmmaker Lisa Meeches, Bell Canada lawyer Melanie McKague and former aerospace operations director Wade Linden.“Our government wishes to thank the outgoing members of the Manitoba Hydro board for their service and for the work they have done on behalf of all Manitobans, and recognizes the significant challenges that they were met with in terms of the financial position of the corporation,” Cullen said in a statement Friday.The chairman and eight other board members quit on Wednesday. They said they had been unable to secure a meeting with Premier Brian Pallister for more than a year to discuss key issues.Pallister said the dispute stemmed from the board’s plan to pay the Manitoba Metis Federation $67 million over several decades so the organization would not oppose current projects — as well as some future domestic transmission lines — for up to 50 years.Former chair Sanford Riley said the settlement made sense in light of recent court rulings that have supported Metis rights. He also argued the payment could be lower than the cost of legal challenges and compensation for upcoming Manitoba Hydro projects.The government quashed the deal calling the settlement “persuasion money.” Pallister argued the next generation of Metis might want the right to seek regulatory reviews or question future projects.David Chartrand, president of the Metis federation, accused Pallister of using “race card” tactics and said the money was partly to compensate for land cleared for hydro poles.James said in a statement that her new role as chairwoman provides an opportunity to tackle the challenges that face Manitoba Hydro.“While I will not comment on the statements made by my predecessor, my priority is to have an open dialogue with the minister of Crown services,” she said.The new board appointments were criticized by Grand Chief Sheila North, who represents northern Manitoba First Nations. North said there was no consultation and, as a result, there is no representative on the board for her people.“It is the First Nations communities in the north that experience the greatest effects from Hydro’s short-term and long-term decisions,” she said in a statement. “This was an opportunity lost by the premier.”last_img read more

  • Former Quebec engineering executive receives 12month sentence for bidrigging

    first_imgOTTAWA — The Competition Bureau says a former executive of Quebec engineering firm Dessau received a 12-month sentence after pleading guilty Thursday in the Court of Quebec to rigging bids for City of Gatineau infrastructure contracts.Dave Boulay, formerly Dessau’s director and assistant vice-president, Outaouais, was sentenced to six months of house arrest and six months under curfew.He admitted to participating in a bid-rigging scheme from 2006 to 2008 in which several engineering firms conspired to divide up city contracts among themselves without the municipality’s knowledge.The regulator says Boulay received leniency in sentencing because of his co-operation with the investigation and the fact that he had no role in the instigation of the bid-rigging scheme.Court proceedings are ongoing against three co-accused: Andre Mathieu, formerly vice-president and associate of Cima+; Claude Marquis, formerly regional director, Outaouais for Genivar (now WSP Global) and Michel Famery, formerly regional vice-president, Dessau.Criminal charges were laid last June against the four men in connection with bid-rigging of 21 Gatineau infrastructure contracts awarded between 2004 and 2008. Companies in this story: (TSX:WSP)The Canadian Presslast_img read more

  • Controversial tusker opens Thrissur Pooram thousands witness

    first_imgThrissur (Ker): Thousands of people gathered here Sunday to witness the grand opening of the famed Thrissur Pooram, considered as the mother of all temple festivals.’Thechikkottukavu Ramachandran’, the controversial elephant which was earlier denied permission to take part in the festivities by the authorities on health grounds, ‘opened’ the annual festival at the ancient Vadakkumnathan temple here. Marking the ritual heralding of Pooram, Ramachandran, the tallest elephant of the state, pushed open the southern entrance of the shrine amidst thunderous cheers of the people gathered on the temple ground. The Thrissur Pooram falls on May 13 this year. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghThe main event of the annual ‘pooram’ begins with the 10.5 foot tall elephant pushing open the gate of the temple, with the idol of ‘neithilakkavilamma’ atop it. Police and temple authorities had a tough time in shifting the jumbo from the ground after the rituals, based on the strict instructions by the district authorities. Among the restrictions imposed on the use of the elephant were: It can take part in the ritual only for an hour from 9. 30 am; four mahouts should escort the animal and barricades should be constructed on a 10-metre radius to prevent people from getting closer to the jumbo. Ending four days of uncertainty, Thechikkottukavu Ramachandran was given the conditional nod Saturday to participate in the Thrissur pooram after the animal cleared the fitness test. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadThe clearance to the government was given after a team of three veterinarians conducted the medical examination of the 54-year-old elephant. The team had also submitted a report to the Thrissur collector T V Anupama, stating that the elephant was fit to participate in the “vilambaram” ritual as part of ‘pooram’. Since 2014, the elephant has been been performing the ritual and has a big fan following in the state. However, after two persons were killed by the pachyderm during a house-warming celebration in Guruvayur in February this year, the district administration had imposed a ban on its participation in festivals. Thrissur, the state’s cultural capital, is under a thick security cover with 3,500 policemen being deputed on duty.last_img read more

  • Two Indian climbers die on Mount Kanchenjunga in Nepal

    first_imgKathmandu: Two Indian climbers have died in Nepal due to high altitude sickness near the summit of Mount Kanchenjunga during an expedition to the world’s third tallest peak, an official said Thursday. Biplab Baidya (48) and Kuntal Karar (46) died Wednesday night above Camp IV after they were unable to continue their descent from near the 8,586-meter peak due to hypothermia and snowblindness. “Biplab made it successfully to the summit point while Kuntal fell sick on his way and could not make it to the top. The Indian duo died while climbing down from the peak,” Mira Acharaya,” liaison officer at Nepal’s Ministry of Tourism team deployed at the base camp, told PTI. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange framework According to fellow climbers, the incident occurred when the duo were being brought to Camp IV from an altitude of 8,400 metres through a herculean rescue operation carried out by Project Possible team leader Nirmal ‘Nims’ Purja along with the fellow members. “They succumbed to high altitude sickness,” said Pasang Sherpa, Director of Peak Promotion Ltd, that carried out the expedition. They were part of a five-member team of climbers from West Bengal, Sherpa said. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygen “Two Indian climbers and a German mountaineer who also suffered from serious frostbite will be evacuated from the high altitude camp as early as possible,” he said. Another climber from Chile is missing from above Camp IV of Mount Kanchenjunga since last evening. Rodrigo Vivanco from Chile went missing on the descent after he reportedly made it to the summit late on Wednesday, Sherpa said, adding that a team has already left for Camp IV to conduct a search operation. Mount Kangchenjunga is the third highest mountain in the world. It rises in a section of the Himalayas called Kangchenjunga Himal delimited in the west by the Tamur River, in the north by the Lhonak Chu and Jongsang La, and in the east by the Teesta River.last_img read more

  • Longdelayed Tunisia constitution to be put to vote

    first_imgTunis — Tunisian lawmakers are to vote Saturday on adopting a long-delayed new constitution, seen as crucial to getting the democratic transition back on track more than three years after the revolution.“The vote will be held tomorrow, Saturday,” Mofdi Mssedi, spokesman for the speaker’s office, told AFP on Friday, a day after parliament completed its review of each article in the draft constitution.The time of the vote has yet to be determined, but the charter needs the approval of two-thirds of the 217 assembly members to be adopted. That would pave the way for the appointment of a caretaker cabinet of independents headed by premier designate Mehdi Jomaa, after the ruling Islamist party Ennahda agreed to hand power to a technocrat administration, under a deal to end months of political deadlock.Jomaa’s government will be tasked with leading the country to parliamentary and presidential elections, scheduled to take place later this year.“A plenary session will take place on Tuesday or Wednesday for a vote of confidence in this new government,” parliament speaker Mustapha Ben Jaafar told Tunisian radio.Lawmakers completed their line-by-line scrutiny of the text late on Thursday after three weeks of heated debate and disagreement on a range of subjects, including the role of Islam, women’s rights, the independence of the judiciary and the president’s powersEnnahda’s veteran leader Rachid Ghannouchi hailed the draft charter as a “historic achievement” which he said would enable the establishment of the first democracy in the Arab world.“We are at an advanced stage of the (democratic) transition, all that remains is to officially adopt this historic document and fix the date of the next elections,” Ghannouchi said in a statement.“We should be proud of what has been achieved, and translate that into ending the interim period and making Tunisia the first Arab democracy.”‘Foundations of a modern state’Under the new constitution, executive power is divided between the prime minister, who will have the dominant role, and the president, who retains important prerogatives notably in defence and foreign affairs.Islam is not mentioned as a source of legislation, although it is recognised as the nation’s religion and the state is committed to “prohibiting any attacks on the sacred,” while freedom of conscience is guaranteed.Human rights are broadly enshrined in the text, although some rights groups have expressed concern that the relevant provisions are often vague.And the charter also upholds gender equality and the rights of women “without discrimination”, and commits the state to promoting equal representation in elected bodies, something unprecedented in the Arab world.“It is a progressive constitution, responding to the hopes of the revolution… and laying the foundations of a modern state,” said assembly speaker Mustapha Ben Jaafar, while recognising that “there could be improvements.”If the constitution is approved on Saturday it would then be formally promulgated by President Moncef Marzouki, outgoing Islamist premier Ali Larayedh and Ben Jaafar, with the signing ceremony planned for Monday.But if it fails to achieve the necessary majority on either its first or second reading, the charter must be put to a referendum.The political parties have sought to avoid that outcome so that they can maintain the elections timetable and end the crisis gripping Tunisia since the assassination of two opposition MPs by suspected jihadists last year.The national assembly was elected in October 2011, nine months after the popular uprising that toppled strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali and touched off the Arab Spring.But its mission to adopt a new constitution within one year was disrupted by bitter divisions between Ennahda and the secular opposition, coupled with jihadist violence and persistent social unrest.last_img read more

  • Smith OSUMichigan rivalry faces uncertain future past 12

    Ohio State and Michigan will be in separate divisions when the 12-team Big Ten begins in 2011. Their annual rivalry game will remain in the final week of the regular season for 2011 and 2012. However, schedules were only decided for those two seasons.   There is no guarantee that the game, which has been the last conference game every year since 1934, will not be moved in future seasons. “We didn’t even talk about if ’13 or ’14 would be the same or look different,” said OSU athletic director Gene Smith of the scheduling talks. “So we’ll have those discussions in October. My guess is it’ll be the same, but I can’t speak for my colleagues.” Smith said that only the 2011 and 2012 schedules were discussed so that they could be finalized as soon as possible to allow communities to plan accordingly. When future schedules are discussed, Smith said he will push for the game to permanently remain at the end of the season. “I know what my position will be, for it to be the same,” Smith said. “But again, I can’t speak for what (Wisconsin athletic director) Barry Alvarez might bring in the room. So I’m going to listen to my colleagues and their pros and cons and I’m also going to represent what our interests are.” There does not seem to be any question as to what the fans want. “Over 90 percent of people want us to keep that game at the end of the schedule,” Smith said in a video statement released by the athletic department before the initial decision. Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany assured that those fans will be considered. “We’re not fan-insensitive, we’re fan-receptive and are only interested in doing what is going to grow our fan base,” he told ESPN.com. It seems that the growth will not occur through further conference expansion. “We’re finished (with expansion),” Smith said. “The only thing that would cause us to look at it further is if someone contacted us.” Smith acknowledged that few Big Ten representatives have closed the door to further expansion. “The reason most of us say it’s not done is because we think there are some schools that are going to try to talk to some conferences. But we’re not actively out looking at expansion,” Smith said. “After our October meetings, that’s going to be the last we talk about it.” read more

  • NFL draft Pat Elflein selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the third

    OSU senior center Pat Elflein takes questions during media day on Dec. 29. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorFormer Ohio State center Pat Elflein was selected in the third round with the 70th overall pick in the 2017 NFL draft by the Minnesota Vikings.Elflein is the sixth Buckeye selected in the draft and the third selected on Saturday.Returning for his senior season, Elflein made the transition from right guard to center and was named one of the team’s captains. In his first season at the position, Elflein was awarded the Rimington trophy, given to the best center in the country, and was named the Big Ten’s Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year.He was also recognized as a consensus first-team All-American and first-team All-Big Ten, the latter of which was his third such recognition in three years. Elflein appeared in 53 games over his five-year career, including a streak of 40-consecutive starts from the beginning of his redshirt-sophomore season to the end of his redshirt-senior year. In his final year on the line for OSU, Elflein helped the Buckeyes average more rushing yards per game than any other team in the Big Ten with 245.2, 11th-best among all FBS schools.Elflein joins former OSU offensive linemen Alex Boone and Reid Fragel on the Vikings.The Vikings open the season at home against the New Orleans Saints on September 11. read more