Tag: 上海夜网TL

  • Hesitant flyers: People remain wary of air travel because of health, cost concerns, survey shows

    first_imgMany people remain reluctant to fly amid lingering fears of COVID-19 and concerns about travel costs, a survey by state-owned airport operator Angkasa Pura (AP) I has found.The AP I survey found that 84 percent of the 500 respondents were erring on the side of caution and were taking a “wait and see” approach, mostly because of the perceived heightened risk of COVID-19 transmission during flights.The results of the survey come despite the government laying out strict health protocols for the aviation industry. The protocols were stipulated in Transportation Ministry Circular No. 13/2020 and cover mandatory procedures from pre-flight to post-flight to reduce the risk of virus transmission. “We need to pay special attention to [consumers’] level of confidence. Airports needs to demonstrate compliance with the health protocols,” AP I president director Faik Fahmi said on Wednesday during an online webinar held by The Habibie Center.The low level of consumer confidence is a major challenge for the already struggling aviation industry, which has been battered by the pandemic as people canceled travel plans due to travel restrictions.Domestic air passenger numbers saw a steep 98.3 drop in May, falling to 87,000 from 5.3 million in May 2019, according to Statistics Indonesia (BPS). The number of international air passengers also dropped more than 99 percent year-on-year (yoy) in May to 11,700 passengers.However, AP I recorded around 394,000 passengers in the first 10 days of July, a huge increase from around 222,000 passengers in the first half of June and 76,000 passengers in the entire month of May. To address the passengers’ concerns, Faik said the company, which manages 13 airports across the country, planned to digitize airline passenger check-in procedures to minimize person-to-person contacts.In the AP I survey, 68 percent of respondents said they favored online flight check-in to avoid contacts with airport staff, while 76 percent said they would feel more comfortable using digital customer service at airports.“The role of technology has become crucial to meet our customers’ desires,” he said.In addition to the fear of COVID-19 transmission, the high cost of rapid and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests, a requirement for air travel, has also dampened people’s interest in flying. As many as 78 percent of the survey respondents said they hoped air travel costs could be reduced.“A lot of our customers complained about the high prices of rapid tests. While the Health Ministry has set a price ceiling of Rp 150,000 [US$10.25] for the test, in reality the price is much higher,” Faik said.The Health Ministry issued on July 6 a circular that set a price ceiling of Rp 150,000 for COVID-19 rapid tests, following numerous complaints over high prices.Earlier this month, Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi has also asked the Finance Ministry to subsidize rapid tests for public transportation users.Several Indonesian airlines have also taken initiatives to drive up air travel demand by providing free or low-cost COVID-19 testing for their passengers.Airlines under Lion Air Group, namely Lion Air, Wings Air and Batik Air, are offering rapid COVID-19 testing for passengers, with prices starting from Rp 95,000, the company’s spokesperson Danang Mandala Prihantoro said in a statement in June.Meanwhile, national flag carrier Garuda Indonesia service and business development director Ade R. Susardi emphasized on Wednesday the importance of restoring consumer confidence in the aviation industry.“We are now trying to increase our passengers numbers by convincing people that it is safe to fly. With a rising number of passengers, we can boost our cash flow,” Ade said.Garuda Indonesia currently has an occupancy rate of around 40 percent, he said.Topics :last_img read more

  • The Latest: Optimism for Red River Showdown in Dallas

    first_imgThe Latest: Optimism for Red River Showdown in Dallas Manager Terry Francona said Reyes is not in any trouble with the team. But by not practicing social distancing or wearing a mask he exposed himself — and his teammates — to infection, and the team is being overly cautious.Francona said Reyes, who was traded to Cleveland last season from San Diego, will have to be re-tested for the virus “when it’s appropriate.”“He’s not in the penalty box,” Francona said. “It’s just the way we have to operate right now. So, hopefully we’ll see him soon.”Francona said Reyes, who hit 37 homers combined for the Padres and Indians last season, apologized for not being more careful.“He didn’t so anything bad,” Francona said. “We just have to live by certain guidelines right now.” Durr detailed her struggles with COVID-19 in a post on Instagram. The former Louisville star says she hasn’t fully recovered.The second pick of the 2019 WNBA draft averaged 6.7 points in her rookie season, starting 15 of her 18 appearances before being sidelined for the season with a hip injury.“Asia worked extremely hard this offseason to put herself in position to take a major leap forward in her second WNBA season,” Liberty general manager Jonathan Kolb said. “While we are disappointed that we will need to wait a bit longer to see her emerge as one of the bright young players in the game, we fully recognize and support the difficult decision she had to make amidst unprecedented circumstances. Brooklyn will be ready for her in 2021.”___Two members of Louisville’s men’s basketball program have tested positive for COVID-19 and the team has suspended voluntary activities for two weeks. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Oklahoma and Texas officials are cautiously optimistic that their annual football showdown still will be played at the Cotton Bowl in the Fair Park in Dallas, despite the announcement Tuesday that the fair would be canceled. July 7, 2020 The R&A says it will create a bio secure zone at Royal Troon for those essential to the championship. It says it will continue to monitor the COVID-19 pandemic to ensure a safe championship without spectators.___The International Cycling Union says this year’s BMX world championships have been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.The event was scheduled to be held in Houston in May and was at first postponed.The UCI says no new host was found “despite its best efforts to come up with an alternative.” Associated Press Cherno More played a league game against Tsarsko Selo in Sofia on Thursday. The laboratory that conducted pre-match tests admitted the following day that it had not announced that one of the players on the team from Sofia had tested positive.Cherno More says the club is still ready to play on Tuesday against Arda Kardzhali despite the positive tests. The quarantined players would be replaced by members of the team’s junior squad.___The Austrian soccer league has started an investigation into the coronavirus testing procedures of all 16 second-division teams after three players from one club tested positive over the weekend.The league says each club must provide receipts and test results to prove that all players have been tested on a weekly basis since play resumed on June 5 after a 12-week break. The next BMX worlds are scheduled to start in Papendal, Netherlands, in August 2021. That is one week after the Tokyo Olympics. Four BMX medal events are on the Olympic program.The UCI also says the 2020 season in BMX Freestyle Park and Flatland World Cup will not happen.___Sixteen players and officials from Bulgarian soccer club Cherno More have tested positive for coronavirus.The club from the Black Sea town of Varna says 12 players are among the positive cases and adds “all players who tested positive are quarantined and we have taken the necessary precautions.” ___The reigning World Series champion Washington Nationals have resumed training camp after canceling workouts Monday because of COVID-19 testing delays.General manager Mike Rizzo said the team felt confident about getting back to Nationals Park for practices after receiving all player and staff test results from Friday. The American League champion Houston Astros also canceled workouts Monday and resumed Tuesday.A handful of players did not take part in workouts, including Starlin Castro, Juan Soto, Howie Kendrick and Victor Robles. Without naming names, Rizzo said two players tested positive for the coronavirus and that any players and staff who came into contact with them had to be re-tested___ A news release from the school did not specify whether it was players or staff members who tested positive. It added that those impacted are being quarantined and proper protocols are being followed.___The R&A is going ahead with the Women’s British Open at Royal Troon without spectators.The Women’s British Open is set for Aug. 20-23 at Royal Troon along the Ayrshire coast of Scotland. It would be the first major on the LPGA Tour schedule that is played this year and it would be the week after the Ladies Scottish Open on the other side of the country just east of Edinburgh.Qualifying for the AIG Women’s British Open has been canceled. The R&A says the field will be comprised of leading players from the women’s world ranking and recognizing top performances at recent events on the world’s leading tours. Major League Soccer has postponed Wednesday night’s match between Nashville and Chicago Fire.MLS says five Nashville players have received positive tests for COVID-19 since arriving in Orlando. Two players received positive results during the weekend, while three others got their positive results Monday night. Four other Nashville players need further testing after receiving inconclusive results.The league is continuing to evaluate Nashville’s participation in its tournament. FC Dallas withdrew Monday after 10 players tested positive for coronavirus.___New York Liberty guard Asia Durr will miss the upcoming WNBA season after testing positive for the coronavirus on June 8. Oklahoma-Texas is one of the longest-running and most intense rivalries in college football. This year’s game is scheduled for Oct. 10.“Though we certainly respect and understand the decision of the folks in Dallas on their cancellation of this year’s State Fair of Texas, we fully anticipate that our annual Red River Showdown with Oklahoma will be played in the Cotton Bowl and are continuing to prepare for that,” Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte said in a statement.Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said in a statement that “the best thing all of us can do at this time is closely follow CDC guidelines to reduce the spread of the virus.”___The Cleveland Indians are keeping outfielder Franmil Reyes away from training camp after they spotted him on social media attending a weekend holiday party without wearing a mask. The investigation comes after last-place Kapfenberger SV apparently breached the anti-coronavirus rules by failing to structurally test its players.The league opened proceedings against Kapfenberg on Monday.___Two more badminton tournaments have been canceled in the revamped calendar because of the coronavirus pandemic.The China Masters in Lingshui was canceled after already being moved from February to May and then to August. It was to be the first comeback event but that’s now expected to be the Chinese Taipei Open in Taipei from Sept. 1-6.The Dutch Open in Almere in October was also put off for this year.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sportslast_img read more

  • MURDER SUSPECT HUNT: BORDER RESIDENTS LIVING IN FEAR

    first_imgPeople living close to the house police believed Kieran McLaughlin had been hiding out are living in fear in the belief the 58-year-old murder suspect is on the run in the area.McLaughlin (58), from the Galliagh area of Derry, is the man police believe shot dead Barry McCrory (35) in broad daylight in a flat in Shipquay Street on Thursday last.A huge cross-border manhunt has been ongoing since the shooting in an attempt to find him. The PSNI have warned members of the public who come across McLaughlin not to approach him but to immediately phone 999. Members of the Garda’s elite armed response unit surrounded the large cream-coloured dormer bungalow in which they thought the suspect was hold up at around 5.30pm on Friday.Neighbouring families were moved from their homes and allowed to return 18 hours later. No one was present in the house on Saturday afternoon. Although the curtains were open, the lights were on and blinds in a conservatory at one end of the house were closed.There was no sign of a forced entry and the only evidence of a police presence was flattened grass where armed response officers lay throughout the “stand off” and an empty one-litre water bottle.Nearby homeowners said they knew “nothing”  about the house at the centre of the drama while one woman revealed they were “fearful.” She said she also knew “nothing” about the house – located 50 yards on a hillside on the Brae Road about five miles from Burnfoot – but confirmed a man had been living in it.She said: “We were told there was a gun man in the house up behind us. When we were asked to leave we went and stayed in a hotel. When we returned after getting a phone call it was still not safe. We were not allow back in until 12 o’clock.”The said the whole experience had been “frightening.”She added: “We are even afraid to open our door.”Indeed, so fearful are residents living in the immediate vicinity of the house, they alert police to any strangers in the area. On at least one occasion an armed response team rushed to the area after being alerted by one neighbour who became fearful. The area was sealed off for a brief period and the armed unit withdrew a shortly time later are reassuring the family concerned.The PSNI carried out searches in homes – including those of family members – in the Galliagh area on the night of the killing – before naming McLaughlin as their suspect and releasing his photograph to the public.Estates in the Galliagh area are visited regularly by PSNI patrols mainly centred round Ederowen Park where McLaughlin’s daughter lives and a house he regularly visited.MURDER SUSPECT HUNT: BORDER RESIDENTS LIVING IN FEAR was last modified: October 13th, 2013 by johngerardShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:fearlivingmurdersuspectlast_img read more