Author: admin

  • Forney leads Steelers to victory

    first_imgMike Forney scored a goal and added two assists as Sheffield Steelers moved back to the top of the Rapid Solicitors Elite League with a 4-2 victory over Coventry Blaze at the SkyDome Arena. Andrew Hotham’s goal 21 seconds into overtime saw Cardiff Devils claim a 6-5 victory over the second-placed Braehead Clan in a fight-filled game at the Cardiff Arena. Brent Walton, Matthew Myers (2) and Josh Batch scored to give a 4-0 advantage before goals from Stefan Meyer and Ben Davies cut the lead in half going into the final period. Hotham extended Cardiff’s advantage before the Clan forced overtime with markers from Scott Pitt (2) and Neil Trimm but Hotham settled matters in the extra session. Darryl Lloyd scored twice to give Belfast Giants a 6-3 win at Nottingham Panthers, while Shane Lust’s overtime winner earned Dundee Stars a 2-1 win over Hull Stingrays. In the evening’s final game, Fife Flyers needed a shootout to claim a 6-5 victory over Edinburgh Capitals. Tyler Mosienko put the Steelers ahead on the powerplay 6:54 into the opening period but the Blaze bounced back after the first break with goals from player-coach Steven Goertzen and Ryan O’Marra to take the lead. But Sheffield responded and three goals in in less than three minutes before the second break from Robert Dowd, Rod Sarich and Forney were enough for victory. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

  • Ireland steadfast over Sexton

    first_imgIrish rugby chiefs have reacted angrily to claims throwing Johnny Sexton into RBS 6 Nations action against France after a 12-week concussion lay-off could prove “a big mistake”. Press Association Ireland have not previously made public the fact that they chose not to select Sexton for their first-round clash in Rome, which Joe Schmidt’s side won 26-3 last weekend. The intimation was that Sexton was simply not available as he completed the final week of his three-month absence. This statement claims otherwise, and is designed to assert the IRFU’s right to field Sexton this weekend, and prove an extra level of sensitivity to their approach. France spent the early part of the week volunteering their determination to throw the kitchen sink, as well as tree-trunk centre Mathieu Bastareaud, straight down Sexton’s channel at the Aviva Stadium. Captain Thierry Dusautoir and assistant coach Yannick Bru attempted to downplay such tactics in Friday’s press conference in Dublin however – and Ireland’s frustrations with outside commentary may just account for some of that carefully-orchestrated backward step. When Ireland’s scrum coach Greg Feek and Paul O’Connell addressed 47-cap Sexton’s return on Friday lunchtime, both men hailed his physical condition and mental fortitude. Feek believes it is “a credit” to Sexton that he is fully fit and itching for a Test return after his absence. “Johnny’s selected, he’s been keen to play and he’s fine,” said Feek. “We’ve got brilliant medical staff and strength and conditioning staff, and we all work together on that process. “Then the players themselves are involved in that. “When is the right time? What is the right game? That’s the big question-mark. “We felt this was it. He did everything he needed to do, so it’s a credit to the player to be available at this point as well.” Ireland captain Paul O’Connell hailed Sexton as “an incredible player”, who will cope with whatever France throw at him on Saturday. “Johnny’s a really good professional, he enjoys his training,” said O’Connell. “While he wasn’t able to train very hard in his earlier days of being out, he’s treated the break as a bit of a mini pre-season as well. “He’s been able to look after his hamstring and get a bit of weights done, and relax the mind a bit. “It’s great to have him back in the side: he’s an incredible player, and he’s very aware of how Joe (Schmidt) wants things done having worked under him for a long time. “I played in a team with Ronan O’Gara for many years where teams knew how important he was to us and always attacked the 10 channel. “It’s every team’s focus to attack the 10 channel, it’s where a team’s playmaker is and it’s part and parcel of the game. “France can attack us anywhere and attacking the 10 channel is nothing new.” Former France international Laurent Benezech has questioned Ireland’s decision to start Sexton against Les Bleus in Dublin on Saturday, following his three-month stand-down for suffering four concussions in one year. Ireland have defended the decision to select the Racing Metro fly-half all week, but were moved to issue a pointed statement on Friday night, “to clarify some facts”. Ireland have revealed for the first time that Sexton could have played against Italy last weekend – and by inference are aiming to highlight their careful handling of the British and Irish Lions fly-half. “Player welfare is the primary concern of the Ireland medical and management team,” reads the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) statement. “All of the medical experts directly involved in the management of Johnny Sexton are satisfied that he is fit to return to the field of play.” Irish bosses branded Benezech’s comments as “disappointing and inaccurate commentary”, explaining Sexton has remained free of any concussion symptoms for the last two months of his enforced three-month absence. Former France star Benezech told the Irish Times: “Ireland is in trouble as playing Sexton after what happened to him is a big mistake.” Sexton was stood down from action by independent neurologists instructed by the French Top 14’s governing body, and the IRFU has acceded to those wishes throughout his 12-week break from action. The IRFU statement continued: “Johnny was cleared to play on Thursday, February 5 by independent neurologists in France and Ireland, the FFR concussion review committee, the Racing Metro medical team, the Ireland medical team.” Ireland’s statement is a step rendered all the more unusual given the detail within it was not revealed or volunteered in a Friday lunchtime press conference, despite much discussion of Sexton’s situation. last_img read more

  • Fan: Scudamore ‘out of touch’

    first_img The day after selling the latest batch of Premier League TV rights to UK broadcasters for an eye-watering £5.136billion, Scudamore said he did not feel uneasy about the low pay handed out by top clubs to their staff when players were taking home huge wage packets. “No, it doesn’t make me uncomfortable,” Scudamore told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. Seven days later, almost 45,000 have signed the petition. “We set this petition up in light of the TV deal and Richard Scudamore’s comments,” Sharples added. “We thought it was really important to highlight the staggeringly-low figures being paid to people working at football clubs “I would love it if 100,000 people signed it.” So far Chelsea are the only Premier League club to commit to paying its staff the living wage. Others have introduced the living wage – but only to their contracted employees and not to those whose jobs are sub-contracted to them by the club. “It’s disappointing that Chelsea are the only ones (who have signed up),” Sharples said. “It looks like some clubs are seeking to capitalise on the momentum the campaign is building by putting out these statements saying that they are going to pay their staff the living wage but actually when you look into the detail of it the sub-contracted staff are not included. “There are a lot of people in that bracket – some staff in club shops are sub-contracted, for example.” Sharples has been unable to arrange a face-to-face meeting with Scudamore to discuss the matter. The only meetings he has had have been with the Premier League’s director of policy Bill Bush. “I guess you could say it’s a little bit of a snub,” he said. “Ideally we would be speaking to him (Scudamore) directly. “But I suppose it’s good they are reaching out to a certain extent.” The Premier League had not responded to a request for a comment at the time of publication. A football fan who launched a petition calling on top-flight clubs to pay their staff the living wage has launched an attack on Richard Scudamore, claiming the Premier League chief executive has lost his grasp on reality with his comments on the matter. “The stars that grace the field in the Premier League are world stars, it’s a world market. I don’t set the market rate, it’s set by the world market.” That annoyed Joel Sharples, a Tottenham fan who has been campaigning for the introduction of a minimum living wage for employees of top-flight clubs. Sharples, in conjunction with Citizens UK – a civic alliance of more than 350 community organisations – is calling for Premier League clubs to pay their staff £7.85 per hour (£9.15 per hour in London), rather than the current minimum wage of £6.50 per hour. “Richard Scudamore’s comments showed he is very much out of touch with reality,” Sharples told Press Association Sport. “He is out of touch with the mood of fans and the population as well with regards to inequality and low pay. “When you consider that he is personally getting paid a £1.9million salary, plus a £1million bonus… That bonus would be enough to pay for most people to earn a living wage. “It would cost peanuts for clubs to introduce this.” Last Thursday Sharples set up an online petition calling on all 20 Premier League clubs to commit to paying all their staff the living wage. Press Associationlast_img read more

  • Canyon seeking fourth Grade One

    first_img “Nichols Canyon is in good form since Aintree and I’m very pleased with him,” said Mullins. “Sempre Medici won well at Fairyhouse and is improving all the time, while Outlander was second to Shaneshill at Fairyhouse and deserves to take his chance. McKinley will also run.” Gigginstown also has four runners in this two-and-a-half-mile event as together with Outlander and McKinley, they also field Alpha Des Obeaux and No More Heroes. The Sandra Hughes-trained Phil’s Magic completes the line-up. Press Association The Authorized gelding, third to Windsor Park in the Neptune Investment Management Novices’ Hurdle at Cheltenham, regained the winning thread and recorded his third Grade One success of the campaign last time in the Mersey Novices’ Hurdle at Aintree. Ruby Walsh is again aboard Andrea and Graham Wylie’s five-year-old, while Paul Townend takes over on Sempre Medici who really stepped up last time at Fairyhouse when taking the Grade Two Rathbarry & Glenview Studs Novice Hurdle in fine style. center_img Nichols Canyon spearheads a four-strong team from Willie Mullins as the trainer hunts further Punchestown Festival success in the Grade One Tattersalls Ireland Champion Novice Hurdle.last_img read more

  • Matt Jarvis hopes to get frustration out of his system

    first_img The Canaries were beaten 2-1 at home by Leicester before the international break, which was a first defeat in a promising run of four matches. Jarvis, on loan from West Ham, admits not having another game to quickly try to put things right has made it a difficult spell for those left at the Norfolk club’s training base. “As a group it wasn’t nice to lose before the international break as you have that feeling for two weeks,” Jarvis said. “We have had time to reflect on Leicester and want to put things right now.” Jarvis added: “We want to keep our away record going and have shown in games how well we can play. “Everyone can see how good the team is, but you have to be consistent too. “In every match this season we are looking to make a strong start to ensure the other team doesn’t pick up momentum, and Sunday is no different.” Jarvis has impressed since his deadline day loan move from West Ham, scoring twice in four appearances. The 29-year-old, however, is not about to rest on his laurels. “It has been a good start for me here,” he said at a press conference. Winger Matt Jarvis hopes Norwich can finally get a fortnight of frustration out of their system with victory at Newcastle on Sunday. “I scored quite a few for Wolves when I was in the Premier League with them, and it is one thing I have needed to improve on. “I have scored a couple at Norwich already, and hopefully I can keep that up. “We have got a competitive squad, so I know I need to maintain my form. “When you are given the chance to play you have got to take it.” Newcastle may be currently propping up the rest of the Premier League, but Canaries boss Alex Neil will not allow any complacency from his squad. “We want to make sure that we go about our business in the right way and hopefully put a really good performance in,” the Scot said on Norwich City TV. “Out of the 10 games we have played so far (in all competitions), we have done really well in eight. “That is a great ratio for us, but we will be looking to improve on that as well. “It is such fine margins by which you win or lose games at this level. “There have been a couple of games this season where I felt we have deserved to win, but we haven’t – and those four or five extra points would put you in a very different scenario.” Press Associationlast_img read more

  • Ireland end 108-year wait for Olympic qualification

    first_img Their claim on one of the extra spots would have disappeared if New Zealand had won their continental cup ahead of Australia, who had already qualified for Rio, but the Black Sticks fell to a 3-2 defeat in Stratford. Fulton said: ” It probably hasn’t sunk in yet but we’re over the moon. It’s testament to what the guys have achieved this year on and off the field.” Craig Fulton’s side will compete in Rio next summer after their qualification was secured by Australia’s victory against New Zealand in the Oceania Cup. Ireland finished fifth in their World League semi-final in Antwerp back in July, but only the top three were guaranteed a ticket to Rio. Ireland’s men will become the first hockey team to represent the country at the Olympics since 1908.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

  • Publix subs on sale for limited time, $5.99 for full sub

    first_imgMajor deal alert!Beginning on Thursday, whole subs at Publix are on sale for $5.99 until June 19.Publix subs typically cost $8.99.The Pub-sub has been named the Number 1 sandwich in America by Thrillist has always been Florida’s “unofficial state sandwich,” according to website.Additionally, there is a series of Facebook fan pages dedicated to Pub subs of all varieties, including turkey, Cuban, chicken tender and more!last_img

  • Fuel Truck Overturns at PBIA

    first_imgThe driver was not injured, and there was no leak from the main tank.Aircraft activity was temporarily redirected away from the area as a precaution. Fire Rescue officials responded to Palm Beach International Airport on Saturday, after receiving reports that a fuel truck had overturned.Crews offloaded fuel from the tank before a wrecker righted the truck.last_img

  • 2 officers injured in shooting at Walmart

    first_imgTwo officers are recovering in the hospital after they were shot by a gunman who opened fire at a Walmart in Arkansas.The incident was reported Monday morning at the store in Forrest City.Officials say they received a call about a man making threats in the grocery section of the store.When officers arrived the suspect, who was said to be known to police, opened fire as authorities approached him.Authorities then fired back striking, the suspect.He was pronounced dead at the scene.During a press conference Forrest City Police Chief Deon Lee identified the officers as  Lt. Eric Varner and Detective Eugene Watlington, and reported that despite the fact that neither of the officers were wearing bullet-resistant vest, they are expect to be ok.Authorities have also since publicly released the name of the suspect as Bobby Gibbs.An investigation into the incident is still pending.last_img read more

  • PBC Supervisor of Elections Wendy Link tells 850WFTL “We’re Ready” for Presidential Primary

    first_imgFlorida voters will head to the polls on Tuesday, March 17th to cast their ballots in the presidential primary and also to decide 20 different municipal elections including selecting a new mayor of Boca Raton.Already some 40,000 absentee ballots have been cast in Palm Beach County.Palm Beach County Supervisor of Elections Wendy Link sat down with 850 WFTL to explain how this time around, the county is ready for a problem-free election with new voting equipment and no problematic apps to get in the way like in Iowa.Listen to the full interview here.https://www.850wftl.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/SFS-Palm-Beach-County-Supervisor-of-Elections.mp3It’s too late to register to vote in the upcoming presidential primary, but you still have time to do so for the August primary and the general election in November.Click here to register.last_img read more